Built in 1753 by Jacob Bachmann and his wife Katrinna, at the corner of Fermor (now Second) and Northampton Streets. This stone tavern also served as a place for local politicians to meet and exchange ideas, and from 1753 to 1766 a large room on the second floor was used as the first Court of Northampton County. The tavern was also owned by George Taylor, a signer of the Declaration of Independence, and was used as his residence. The Bachmann Publick House has been restored with 70% of the building’s original fabric is intact. This building is on the National Register of Historic Places. The building currently contains the Lenape Cultural Center, open on Saturdays from 11am to 3pm.
The Easton Area Public Library is proud to be serving our community since 1811. Come see our Carnegie Building, built in 1901. The Henry F. Marx Local History Room is a great place to research local history and family genealogy. The Easton Flag, which was flown in downtown Easton at the reading of the Declaration of Independence in 1776, is on display in the Marx Room. The Library offers free Wi-Fi and is open 65 hours per week.
The Jacob Nicholas House, at the corner of 5th & Ferry Streets, is named after the original owner of this “bank” house. Built circa 1807, the home retains the original 200 year old brick entry walk, as well as a walk-in fireplace and much of the original interior woodwork. The Nicholas House has been restored, with furnishings dating from the 1830’s, and is one of few restored structures in the nation that illustrate life at home for a typical working person or family. This building is on the National Register of Historic Places.
The Parsons Taylor House was built in 1757 by William Parsons who surveyed Easton for the Penn family.